SING FOR YOUR SUPPER
ATTN PLAYWRIGHTS, ACTORS
& EVERYONE IN BETWEEN...
SING FOR YOUR SUPPER IS BACK!
We are so very excited to announce that after many years, The Assembly Theatre will be inheriting Toronto Indie Theatre's favourite event SING FOR YOUR SUPPER.
On the first Monday of every month, Sing for your Supper gives playwrights and actors –even those with little to no experience – a chance to meet each other, share ideas and workshop new scripts before an audience, on the fly and outside conventional theatre venues.
This cold reading series is also a unique opportunity for writers to have their work read in a new light, with no pressure or expectations.
* Please submit a max 12 page scene for consideration (these pages are what will be performed)
* Scenes can be about ANYTHING! Could be an excerpt of a longer work, a one-shot, a sketch, anything act-able from any genre is welcome!
* You can have 1 character, you can have 15 characters - totally up to you!
* Please submit your scripts via this google form for consideration
* The scripts will then receive a live workshop by Toronto talent on a first come first serve basis.
* For questions, please email: assemblytheatre.SFYS@gmail.com
We as a community are committed to addressing barriers both within the theatre industry, and within our own community of artists. We strongly encourage and will prioritize submissions from members of equity-seeking communities, including artists who are BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+, and/or Disability-identified. Please note that unfortunately the Assembly Theatre is not an accessible space and although we are happy to accept scripts from physically disabled artists, we will not be able to accommodate participation in person.
* SIGN UP FOR PERFORMANCE OPENS AT 7:30pm on the night
* Performers are asked to arrive 45 mins prior the 8:15 pm curtain. This allows everyone enough time to get acquainted with the script and introduce themselves to one and other in a very casual, collaborative and creative environment.
HISTORY OF SFYS
The year is 2012.
A rag tag team of Indie Theatre together to open the glorious and wonderful Indie Theatre Venue - The Storefront Theatre (RIP). The team soon develop a night for playwrights, actors, and theatre enthusiasts alike to gather and watch new work be presented - SING FOR YOUR SUPPER. The event ran for many years at The Storefront Theatre but sadly when the space closed in 2017, SFYS bounced around the city at different venues. It also moved to an online format during the days of Covid. We are so excited to be giving it a permanent home at The Assembly Theatre.
The Storefront Theatre, 2014
Sing For Your Supper, Storefront Theatre, 2015